Basket.

Angry little men, going about their angry little lives.
The honour is mine.

Friday, August 27, 2004

 
What, a whole week already?

Though I have read some excellent analytical history (Hobsbawm springs readily to mind), it is narrative history I will always prefer by a great margin. I do admire keen, incisive dissection of historical events, but a spell-binding narration of the selfsame events will always attract me more. After all, who doesn't like a good story? The best history books I have read have been narrative. No one can deny the literary prowess of Pulitzer Prize winner John Toland (I have read his The Last Hundred Days cover-to-cover three times), or Sir Martin Gilbert, honoured and knighted for his majestic biography of Winston Churchill. I have never had the pleasure of reading in full the most well-known works of William Manchester (The American Caesar), Stephen Ambrose or Cornelius Ryan (The Longest Day), but what I have read has enchanted me. Even Erik Durschmied, not a trained historian, has produced some work of wonderful detail that makes for very enjoyable reading.

This is not counting the myriad authors, not half as well-known, whose works I have read and found brilliant as well. It is a pity I cannot remember them all.

Now I may just have discovered such a work. 1812: Napoleon's Fatal March on Moscow, by Adam Zamoyski, is a history book practically fresh out of the oven, having been published just this year. I have heard that over 250,000 books have been written about Napoleon and the Napoleonic era, and I have myself read a not inconsiderable number. Yet this one impresses me. A masterpiece of narrative history, it examines Napoleon's pivotal Russian campaign of 1812-13 in astounding detail, drawing from a vast range of sources, some that have only very recently become available. Presenting both a broad overview and a micro outlook on an event that quite literally changed Europe and the world, it is able to present to the reader both the sheer magnitude and impact of the events it describes and impart a human element I have heretofore never seen within one of the most brutal actions ever fought between two opposing sides. A human face on a war to the knife. No mean feat, indeed. The testimonies of so many from both sides, of the troubles and minor inconveniences of war, of the fear and paradoxical exhilaration felt by soldiers about to enter their first battle, of Napoleon's mistakes and idiosyncracies (the "Corsican Ogre", human after all), of his opposing number Alexander's own habits and character traits... too many for me to list. One ends up with a degree of sympathy and respect for these men, who fought and suffered and died, most senselessly, in the wastes of Europe over two hundred years ago.

And to me, that is something only the best history books can do. Not listing long-dead facts and figures, not giving pages upon pages of bone-dry analysis, but giving people of the present an idea of how people before them lived and died and suffered, reconciled with how the great events they were mere cogs within changed and shaped the world we currently exist in.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003   07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003   08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003   09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003   10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003   11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003   12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004   01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004   02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004   03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004   04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004   05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004   06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004   07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004   08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004   09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004   10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004   11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004   12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005   01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005   02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005   03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005   04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005   05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005   06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005   07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005   08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005   09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005   10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005   11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005   12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006   01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006   02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006   03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006   04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006   05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006   06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006   07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006   08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006   09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006   10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006   11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006   12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007   01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007   02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007   03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007   04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007   05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007   06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007   07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007   08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007   09/01/2007 - 10/01/2007   10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007   11/01/2007 - 12/01/2007   12/01/2007 - 01/01/2008   01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008   02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008   03/01/2008 - 04/01/2008   04/01/2008 - 05/01/2008   06/01/2008 - 07/01/2008   10/01/2008 - 11/01/2008   11/01/2008 - 12/01/2008   01/01/2009 - 02/01/2009   03/01/2009 - 04/01/2009   04/01/2009 - 05/01/2009   06/01/2009 - 07/01/2009   07/01/2009 - 08/01/2009   10/01/2009 - 11/01/2009   11/01/2009 - 12/01/2009  

People

  • 1A01C 03
  • Gregory
  • Justin
  • Kenneth
  • Lam
  • Melvin
  • Shuang Ning
  • Winston
  • Yeo
  • Links

  • S*P
  • Bobbin
  • Striptease
  • TalkingCock
  • Scarygoround
  • Penny Arcade
  • Diesel Sweeties
  • Students' Sketchpad
  • Perry Bible Fellowship
  • My Links

  • A Wrong Turn.
  • This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?