Basket.

Angry little men, going about their angry little lives.
The honour is mine.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

 
And now for something I haven't done in a while - a midweek update, made possible because I have off for most of this week, although no long weekend thanks to that overt show of chest-breating militarism known as SAF Day.

The role of the military in contemporary Singapore is certainly one deserving of closer examination - but not here and not now.

The long weekend I did have, that is, the one just past, was a good one by any standards. I watched two movies in two days and added to my growing collection of history books (I'm afraid it may grow so large I'll never finish some of them) with three fine acquisitions from my favourite place in Orchard - Kinokuniya. Star Wars was good, and the Amityville Horror one of the better horror films I've seen (although it still failed to get me scared).

Another little anecdote that made me think again about how the years have simply disappeared; at dinner with Winston on Sunday prior to catching the latter above-mentioned film, he mentioned his sister. I idly asked how old she was, and was a little startled when he said she was Sec 4. Wasn't it just yesterday that he was mentioning her taking PSLE? No, wait - that was all of four years ago, when the two of us were still in RI, when the two of us were still classmates, when he was still this cute, homely little guy with a floppy centre-parting instead of the rather broader, more streetwise urchin with hair that fit that label with its shape.

Forgive me for that, if you are reading this. But if you can call me a "fashion disaster" on your blog... (not that I do not admit to being one)

Anyway, it was good to meet up with old acquaintances over the weekend, including the old BLYC gang. Brought back lots of memories, and it is always interesting to see how people change over the years - as they inevitably do, be it for the better or for worse.

And now to grouse a little. This isn't a new grouse, too. It seems most of the world that is free (in the way that a man who is not in prison is) is out there seeing other countries, other places, other destinations infinitely more exotic than this tiny island where there are only a handful of places worth the going and where those selfsame places virtually rob you of money a lot of the time. I'm jealous of this. Very jealous. I itch to get off this damned piece of dirt, because I haven't in all of five years. I feel like the proverbial frog at the bottom of the proverbial well, able to see only a small round circle of an infinitely vast sky.

The itch is there, but for now I can't scratch it. Very frustrating. I've been wanting to see an actual historical battle site for years and years now, but the best I've ever got is Bukit Panjang, where the Malay Regiment bravely held off waves of Japanese assaults during the Battle for Singapore. It isn't enough. The world has so much history, and as many books as I've read, I haven't actually managed to get out there and experience even the tiniest portion of it. It grates on me no end.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003   07/01/2003 - 08/01/2003   08/01/2003 - 09/01/2003   09/01/2003 - 10/01/2003   10/01/2003 - 11/01/2003   11/01/2003 - 12/01/2003   12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004   01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004   02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004   03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004   04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004   05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004   06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004   07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004   08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004   09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004   10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004   11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004   12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005   01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005   02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005   03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005   04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005   05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005   06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005   07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005   08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005   09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005   10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005   11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005   12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006   01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006   02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006   03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006   04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006   05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006   06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006   07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006   08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006   09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006   10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006   11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006   12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007   01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007   02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007   03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007   04/01/2007 - 05/01/2007   05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007   06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007   07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007   08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007   09/01/2007 - 10/01/2007   10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007   11/01/2007 - 12/01/2007   12/01/2007 - 01/01/2008   01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008   02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008   03/01/2008 - 04/01/2008   04/01/2008 - 05/01/2008   06/01/2008 - 07/01/2008   10/01/2008 - 11/01/2008   11/01/2008 - 12/01/2008   01/01/2009 - 02/01/2009   03/01/2009 - 04/01/2009   04/01/2009 - 05/01/2009   06/01/2009 - 07/01/2009   07/01/2009 - 08/01/2009   10/01/2009 - 11/01/2009   11/01/2009 - 12/01/2009  

People

  • 1A01C 03
  • Gregory
  • Justin
  • Kenneth
  • Lam
  • Melvin
  • Shuang Ning
  • Winston
  • Yeo
  • Links

  • S*P
  • Bobbin
  • Striptease
  • TalkingCock
  • Scarygoround
  • Penny Arcade
  • Diesel Sweeties
  • Students' Sketchpad
  • Perry Bible Fellowship
  • My Links

  • A Wrong Turn.
  • This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?